Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Very tasty and easy to make. Another favorite of mine from cooking light. I generally use more curry powder and add jamaican hot sauce.
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- Prepare rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- While rice cooks, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until tender.
- Combine chicken and the next 5 ingredients (chicken through black pepper) in a bowl. Add chicken mixture to pan; sauté 4 minutes.
- Stir in wine, capers, beans, and tomatoes. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Serve over rice.
Bad, really bad. Way too much thyme, it's all you can taste. Will not make again and will trash what is on the stove, which is almost all of it. Bitter disappointment! What a waste:(
We really like this recipe and have made it several times. By adding more spice and heat, I think it is a 5 star dish. We typically double or triple the curry powder, and use more allspice, crushed red pepper, and black pepper. We also omit the capers because DH doesnt like them in this dish. Thank you for posting this keeper.
Delicious! A really tasty meal that's great for a family on a busy weeknight. I made mine with quorn veggie "chicken" pieces and it was very good.