Prep 35 mins
Cook 28 mins
This is a "Cooking Light" recipe and it's fabulous-- perfect for a hot summer day!
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons molasses
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 whole jalapeno pepper, seeded & finely minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped scallion
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) bottle roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1⁄4 cup Pickapeppa Sauce
- Cook rice as directed.
- Drain into a sieve and rinse with cold water to separate grains, set aside.
- Prepare grill or broiler.
- Spray chicken with cooking spray and broil, basting with 3 tablespoons of the Pickapeppa sauce, until chicken is done (about 4 minutes per side).
- Transfer to a plate and cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk together lime juice thorugh jalapeno pepper, plus one tablespoon of the Pickapappa sauce.
- Season with salt ans freshly ground black pepper.
- Add beans, scallions, roasted red peppers, 4 tablespoons of the cilantro, and rice.
- Mix well and set aside.
- Cut chicken in half lengthwise and then cut into thin slices.
- Add to rice mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining chopped cilantro before serving.
- This can be served warm or cold.
- It can also be made up to 24 hours in advance and refrigerated.
This dish was fabulous! We made it to be tested by a few of us & it was great hit! We had to make a few adjustments so that we can serve it here at the home but otherwise followed the recipe. We had to leave out the jalapeno pepper and reduced the amt of Pickapeppa Sauce was reduced. The dish was flavorful and like another poster said - it is better the next day!! I roasted my own peppers as long as the grill was going to be on. Thank you for posting, it is keeper! Diane :)
We're in agreement: this IS fabulous. I used brown rice and an extra tsp of molasses but otherwise followed the recipe.It was colorful,filling but light, impossibly healthy and deserving of ten stars. I'm betting it will be even better tomorrow.