This recipe was created for the Ready Set Cook #8 event. These make great appetizers, snacks, or a meal. You can make them as mild or as hot as you want depending on the type of peppers you use. Serve with fried plantains or a tropical fruit salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast half
- 1 sweet potato, medium sized, to yield 1 cup mashed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 fresh pepper, minced (your choice mild and sweet, or hot)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon jamaican yellow curry powder (or yellow curry paste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, but nice if using a mild pepper above)
- vegetable oil (for frying, about 1/4 - 1/2 inch in the pan)
- 1Cook the chicken breast according to your preferred method (roasted, stewed, boiled, sauteed, grilled, etc.) and let cool. Shred and chop the meat until a fine texture. Set aside.
- 2Peel, dice and boil the sweet potato in enough salted water to cover. When tender, drain and mash potato. Set aside.
- 3Melt butter in a medium saute pan. Add pepper and ginger and saute until tender and fragrant. Add the curry powder and salt. Stir. Add the chicken and sweet potatoes to the pan. Stir until thoroughly blended. Add the parsley, and stir again. Remove from heat and let cool slightly - enough to handle, and then shape into 8 small patties.
- 4Meanwhile mix the flour, corn meal, and cayenne (if using). Thoroughly coat the chicken patties in the flour mixture.
- 5Heat the oil on medium until hot. Carefully drop the patties into the oil and fry on each side until golden brown. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jamaican Chicken Patties
Serving Size: 1 (114 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 200.3
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 48.1 mg
- Sodium 99.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 15.2 g