Recipe by PanNan
This recipe was created for the Ready Set Cook #8 event. These make great appetizers, snacks, or a meal. You can make them as mild or as hot as you want depending on the type of peppers you use. Serve with fried plantains or a tropical fruit salad.
Top Review by Susie D
Interesting recipe. I found the patties very dry. The flavor was nice, but definitely need a dipping sauce. I had several sauces leftover from other contest recipes and they made a difference. I used 1 seeded jalapeno & would go with more next time or add just a bit of cayenne to finish the spark. The breading measurements were a bit off. I had lots left to discard. I had to firmly pack the chicken mixture to form into patties and they were still easy to fall apart while frying. The next day I served the patties on a bun with a sweet/ hot barbeque sauce, lettuce, tomatoes, and sliced onions. I preferred them this way. Thank you for an enjoyable meal and good luck in the contest!
- 1⁄2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast half
- 1 sweet potato, medium sized, to yield 1 cup mashed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 fresh pepper, minced (your choice mild and sweet, or hot)
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon jamaican yellow curry powder (or yellow curry paste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, but nice if using a mild pepper above)
- vegetable oil (for frying, about 1/4 - 1/2 inch in the pan)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the chicken breast according to your preferred method (roasted, stewed, boiled, sauteed, grilled, etc.) and let cool. Shred and chop the meat until a fine texture. Set aside.
- Peel, dice and boil the sweet potato in enough salted water to cover. When tender, drain and mash potato. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a medium saute pan. Add pepper and ginger and saute until tender and fragrant. Add the curry powder and salt. Stir. Add the chicken and sweet potatoes to the pan. Stir until thoroughly blended. Add the parsley, and stir again. Remove from heat and let cool slightly - enough to handle, and then shape into 8 small patties.
- Meanwhile mix the flour, corn meal, and cayenne (if using). Thoroughly coat the chicken patties in the flour mixture.
- Heat the oil on medium until hot. Carefully drop the patties into the oil and fry on each side until golden brown. Serve hot.