Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe appeared in Family Circle magazine in July, 1980. It is a chicken dish which is unlike the usual boring alternatives.
- 1 (3 lb) chicken
- lemon juice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 tablespoons raisins
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 cups grated fresh pineapple
- 3 teaspoons white rum
- Disjoint chicken, cut into serving portions, put into a bowl and sprinkle with 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper, put aside for 5 minutes.
- Pat the pieces dry with paper toweling and gently fry in oil until browned all over, moving the pieces in the pan frequently.
- Transfer to an ovenproof dish.
- Add onion and garlic to pan and fry gently until softened, remove and add to the chicken pieces.
- Top with the tomatoes, raisins, lemon rind, salt and pepper.
- Put lid on dish, or cover with foil and bake in a moderate oven for about 40 minutes.
- Cover with the pineapple, sprinkle the rum over and cook, uncovered until chicken pieces are tender.