Recipe by YummySmellsca
This is another "stretched" recipe we did for the Boys and Girls Club one dinner service. We only had about 8 lbs of chicken to stretch between 60 kids, and not enough rice to give them all either. What we did have were potatoes, so this flavourful, oven-stewed meal was created!
- 8 lbs bone-in skinless chicken pieces
- 2 large onions, diced finely
- 9 scallions, minced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 5 tablespoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1⁄4 cup seasoning salt
- 3 tablespoons black pepper
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons soy sauce
- 7 cups stewed tomatoes (4 14-oz cans)
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, pricked with a fork but left whole
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄2 tablespoon allspice
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 4 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 3 large onions, diced
- 9 large carrots, diced
- 8 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
Directions See How It's Made
- The night before, combine chicken parts, onions, scallions, bell peppers, garlic powder, onion powder, allspice, seasoned salt, black pepper, brown sugar and soy sauce in a large bowl or bucket, tossing well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, combine tomatoes, Scotch Bonnet pepper, minced garlic, allspice, black pepper, ketchup and chicken broth.
- Cook over medium-high heat for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Remove and discard hot pepper and set tomatoes aside.
- The next day, preheat the broiler and spread chicken mixture in a very large, deep roasting pan.
- Broil for 4 minutes, stir and return to broiler for 4 more minutes.
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-low heat.
- Add diced onions and cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until caramelized.
- Add carrots and potatoes, raise heat to medium high and saute until carrots begin to soften, about 7 minutes.
- Pour sauteed mixture over chicken and stir to incorporate.
- Cover roasting pan and bake for 5 hours.
- After five hours, add tomato mixture to the pan, stir in and bake uncovered 1 hour longer.