3 hrs 30 mins
One of the best fruitcakes I've ever made. My first attempt at posting this was cause to edit for clarification. The first step, mix all the fruits thoroughly with the alcohol, cover and let sit for up to a month at room temperature. The prep time doesn't include the macerating time. If you don't care for lime, substitute orange rind and orange essence for the lemon (or use half of each),
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Fruit takes at least a month to macerate
- 1 lb pitted prunes (3 cups)
- 1 lb raisins
- 1 lb currants
- 6 ounces lemon peel, glace, minced
- 6 ounces orange peel, glace, minced
- 1/2 lb glace cherries
- 1/4 lb almonds
- 1 (26 ounce) bottle cherry brandy
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 1 -2 tablespoon Angostura bitters
- 1 lb butter
- 1 lb dark brown sugar
- 8 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon essence
- 2 teaspoons limes or 2 teaspoons orange rind
- 2 teaspoons . almond essence
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 lb flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons Kitchen Bouquet
- 2 tablespoons brandy (or use port wine for brushing on finished cakes)
- 1 1/2 cups almond paste, if desired to roll to cover cakes
- 1Have your soaked fruit ready.
- 2Cream butter and sugar.
- 3Add the eight eggs one at a time.
- 4Add lemon essence, lime (or orange) rind, almond essence and vanilla.
- 5Mix and sift dry ingredients.
- 6Add gradually to creamed mixture.
- 7Mix in soaked fruit and Kitchen Bouquet (add enough until you get the colour your like).
- 8Put in greased tins doubly lined with brown paper.
- 9Bake at 250 F for 2-3 hours or until done.
- 10Remove from oven and soak (brush heavily!), while hot,with extra cherry brandy or rum mixed some added sherry. Wrap in brown paper then foil to store. Let the cakes stand at room temperature for a week.
- 11I make mine in mini loaf pans as I find it bakes easier and they are the perfect size for gift giving. Watch your time if making gift sized cakes. Check after an hour- might need more time.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jamaican Black Fuitcake
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 673.2
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.4 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 123.2 mg
- Sodium 307.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 66.9 g
- Protein 9.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: