Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Delicious Caribean-style "hamburger." Off the recipe goldmine site. YUMMM!!!
Make and share this Jamaican Beef Patties (Beef in Pastry) recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 fresh chili pepper, seeded and minced
- 3 green onions with tops, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs, coarse
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock or 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter or 10 tablespoons margarine, cut into bits
- 1⁄4 cup water, ice-cold
- To make the filling: In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the beef, onion, garlic, chili pepper and scallions.
- Saute, stirring constantly until the mixture gives off its moisture, about 8 minutes.
- Add the remaining filling ingredients and simmer, stirring often, for 20 minutes. The filling should be moist but not wet. Set aside to cool.
- To make the pastry: Sift the flour, curry powder and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix in the butter and rub with your fingers until it is the consistency of cornmeal.
- Add the ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough just holds together.
- Cover, refrigerate for 1 hour. Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured board, roll out the pastry about 1/8-inch thick. Using a 4-inch round cookie cutter, cut the pastry into disks.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the filling slightly below the center of each round.
- Fold over the pastry to form a half moon and seal the edges with the tines of a fork.
- Place the patties on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.