From allrecipes.com. I haven't tried them yet.
Make and share this Jamaican Beef Patties (Aka Meat Pies or Pasties) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- Make the crust: Combine flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder, and pinch of salt. Cut in 1/4 cup margarine and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water until mixture forms a ball. Do not overstir; that makes tough crust. Shape dough into a log, and cut into 10 equal sections. Roll each section into a six inch circle (approximately 1/8 inch thick). Set aside.
- Next, prepare the filling.: Melt margarine in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onion until soft and translucent. Stir in ground beef. Season with 1 teaspoon curry powder, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Cook until beef is browned, stirring constantly. Stir in beef broth and bread crumbs. Simmer until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat.
- Now make the patties: Spoon some filling into each pastry circle. Fold over and press edges together, making a half circle. Use a fork to press edges, and brush the top of each patty with beaten egg.
- Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 25 - 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- NOTE: If you have the time and organization, it might be best to make the filling in advance, long enough to cool down before fillng the pastry. Otherwise, it might melt the pastry somewhat. Just a thought from a review on another recipe.
Super pattie recipe, easy to prepare and delicious!
I just finished making these...tripled the recipe so i got 30. my DH LOVED them, eating 2 in the process of me writing this. so glad they came out good. next time i will add cheese and make half a batch spicier.
These were very good and easy to make, the dough is very forgiving and didn't break. The pastry gets yellow as it cooks. I left the filling in the refrigerator overnight, then made them the next morning. This is the sort of thing that you should make a big batch of and freeze for those "What do I feel like?" moments. Made for Best of 2009 Cookbooks Recipe Tag Game.