Recipe by Nat Da Brat
If preferred, replace beef with chicken or lamb.
Top Review by Flavor Diva
Very good however, the pastry did not turn out well with this recipe. It would not roll out. The next time I made these here is the pastry recipe I used: â€¢ 2 cups all-purpose flour â€¢ 1 tsp turmeric â€¢ 1/2 teaspoons curry powder â€¢ 1 dash salt â€¢ 1/4 cup margarine â€¢ 1/4 cup shortening â€¢ 1/3 cup water Stir in water until mixture forms a ball. Shape into a log, and slice into 10 equal sections. Roll each section into a six inch circle. Cover with a damp cloth. Otherwise,meat was great and we really enjoyed them.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 5 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 lb ground beef (lean)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock or 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 green onions (finely chopped)
- pastry dough
- 500 g plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 200 g shortening (cold,diced) or 200 g butter (cold,diced)
- 1⁄4 cup ice water (lightly beaten) or 1 egg (lightly beaten)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large heavy pan.
- Add onions and garlic.
- Cook, stirring till onion wilts.
- Add ground meat.
- Cook, stirring until meat is browned.
- Sprinkle with curry powder, salt and pepper.
- Cook about 5 minutes.
- Stir in breadcrumbs and stock or water. Cook, stirring often, about 20 minutes. Mixture should be thick but not dry.
- Stir in green onions.
- Remove from heat and leave to cool.
- Make pastry by combining flour with turmeric and salt.
- Rub in butter or shortening until crumbly.
- Add water and gather into a ball.
- Roll out to about 1/4" thickness and cut into 4" diameter circles.
- Gather remaining dough together and lightly cut out again.
- Place about 1 Tbsp filling on each circle. Brush edges with lightly beaten egg, fold over and seal.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Place patties on baking trays lined with aluminum foil.
- Brush lightly with remaining lightly beaten egg.
- Bake 25 to 30 till golden brown.