Nat Da Brat's Note:
If preferred, replace beef with chicken or lamb.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 5 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 lb ground beef (lean)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or 1/2 cup water
- 2 green onions (finely chopped)
- pastry dough
- 500 g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 200 g shortening (cold,diced) or 200 g butter (cold,diced)
- 1/4 cup ice water (lightly beaten) or 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1Heat oil in large heavy pan.
- 2Add onions and garlic.
- 3Cook, stirring till onion wilts.
- 4Add ground meat.
- 5Cook, stirring until meat is browned.
- 6Sprinkle with curry powder, salt and pepper.
- 7Cook about 5 minutes.
- 8Stir in breadcrumbs and stock or water. Cook, stirring often, about 20 minutes. Mixture should be thick but not dry.
- 9Stir in green onions.
- 10Remove from heat and leave to cool.
- 11Make pastry by combining flour with turmeric and salt.
- 12Rub in butter or shortening until crumbly.
- 13Add water and gather into a ball.
- 14Roll out to about 1/4" thickness and cut into 4" diameter circles.
- 15Gather remaining dough together and lightly cut out again.
- 16Place about 1 Tbsp filling on each circle. Brush edges with lightly beaten egg, fold over and seal.
- 17Preheat oven to 400°F
- 18Place patties on baking trays lined with aluminum foil.
- 19Brush lightly with remaining lightly beaten egg.
- 20Bake 25 to 30 till golden brown.
Browse Our Top Caribbean Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Caribbean Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jamaican Beef Patties
Serving Size: 1 (2014 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 188.8
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 10.4 mg
- Sodium 126.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 5.4 g