1/1 Photo of Jamaican Beans and Rice
1 hr 15 mins
The idea for this recipe came from the book Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig. The way I make it these days, however, is not much like the recipe in the book :) This is a really tasty, very filling, "meal in a bowl" type recipe. It has all the creamy, starchy goodness of macaroni and cheese but with no dairy! Coconut milk provides vital medium chain fatty acids and beneficial saturated fats to your diet, as well as tasting absolutely delicious. 3 cups of liquid to 1 1/2 cups of rice will make a risotto like consistency. If you want a bit more sauce increase the liquid to 3 1/2 cups total.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -4 chicken thighs, skin on and bone in are OK
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or 1 tablespoon other cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups long grain brown rice
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups chicken broth (or 2 cups chicken broth and water)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans or 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- salt and black pepper
- 1Heat the oil in a deep skillet or medium sized saucepan with a good lid to medium high.
- 2Salt and pepper the chicken thighs and place them in the pan, skin side down.
- 3Brown both sides of the chicken thighs and then remove from the pan and keep warm.
- 4Adjust the fat in the pan by removing some or adding some and add onions to the fat in the pan.
- 5Sprinkle with salt, pepper, thyme and curry powder and saute until they start to soften.
- 6Add rice and stir to coat the rice with the oil and seasonings.
- 7Add the liquid to the pan and raise heat to high.
- 8Scrape the bottom of the pan to get up the crusty bits and incorporate everything together.
- 9When the pot boils nestle the browned chicken into the rice and put the lid on the pan.
- 10Turn heat down to low and let simmer for 45 minutes or until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through.
- 11Remove chicken from the rice and remove skin and bones.
- 12Shred meat and return to the rice.
- 13Add beans and any vegetables, stir to combine and let sit over low heat to warm the beans and vegetables.
- 14Serve with pineapple or mango chutney and a big green salad!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jamaican Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (283 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 661.1
- Calories from Fat 242
- Total Fat 26.8 g
- Saturated Fat 17.3 g
- Cholesterol 39.4 mg
- Sodium 461.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.3 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 25.1 g