Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Light healthy meal made with ingredients that are on hand.
- 1 1⁄3 cups chicken stock
- 2⁄3 cup white rice
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 green capsicum, cut into thin strips
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (400 g) can canned kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander
- Boil stock over high heat add rice and stir.
- Immediately lower heat.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat oil in heavy non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Saute capsicum and garlic 2 minutes.
- Stir in next three ingredients.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice and coriander and serve.
The presentation and taste of this rice are unmatched! However, I did require 2 1/2 cups more of vegetable stock. I substituted the white vinegar with the juice of half a lemon. This made a fantastic lunch(a meal in itself)! Will serve this at my next lunch party. Thanks!
Great rice recipe! I will make this many times again. I added a little more vinegar as I went, otherwise made it exactly as directed. Served it for company with Jerk Pork Tenderloin (store-bought marinade), mango salsa, and a green salad. Low-fat AND delicious! Hooray!
Yeeah Mon! This is a great dish with terrific flavor depth. You'll find it easy enough to make it on a week night after work. The health factor is wonderful too. Everything works so well together that I wouldn't change a thing, I did however use tsp of dried coriander since I didn't have any fresh.