Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Can be barbecued or made in the oven.
- 6 lbs well trimmed pork baby back ribs, cut into 3 to 4 rib sections
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup red currant jelly
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- For seasoning rub, combine all ingredients except ribs and barbecue sauce ingredients in a small bowl; stir well. Spread over all surfaces of ribs; press with fingertips so mixture adheres to ribs. Cover; refrigerate overnight.
- Prepare grill for indirect cooking. While coals are heating, prepare barbecue sauce.
- For barbecue sauce, melt butter in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir until softened. Stir in remaining sauce ingredients. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 20 minutes, stirring often.
- Place seasoned ribs on grid directly over drip pan. Grill, covered, 1 hour, turning occasionally. Baste ribs generously with barbecue sauce; grill 30 minutes more or until ribs are tender and browned, turning occasionally.
- Bring remaining barbecue sauce to a boil over medium-high heat; boil 1 minute. Serve ribs with remaining sauce.
- OVEN DIRECTIONS:.
- Preheat oven to 350*. Prepare ribs as directed in step 1. Place ribs in foil-lined roasting pan. Cover with foil; bake 1 hour. Uncover, baste with barbecue sauce. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes more. Contine as directed in step 5.
The only thing I added was a couple tbs. of lime juice and freshly graded ginger. It came out perfect, Thank you.