Recipe by DianeNJ
Found this Caribbean twist to a great winter time dish! This can also be prepared with out the meat or using ground turkey. My family loves it! Also brought it to work and they raved!
Top Review by PartTimeVegetarian
Had success with this recipe! The name drew me in, but the combination of ingredients and the results will bring me back to this one. The only substitution I made was a can of fat-free refried beans in place of the cannellini beans, I figured it would thicken the whole mixture (it did). Thanks!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped red peppers (or both) or 2 1⁄2 cups yellow peppers (or both)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika (hot if possible)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef over medium high heat in a large, deep frying pan.
- Drain off fat and set aside.
- Coat a large dutch oven with cooking spray and place over medium high heat.
- When pan is hot add the olive oil and cook the onion and garlic until the onion is tender, then add the peppers and cook until tender.
- Season with the cumin, paprika, chili powder, sugar, salt and cloves.
- Stir in the canned diced tomatoes, and the drained cans of beans.
- Add water to cover all.
- Bring to a boil and then stir in the meat and tomato paste.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vinegar.
- May serve with chopped fresh cilantro as decorative topping.