Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
An unusual and delicious chutney! Goes great with my Delia Smith's Traditional Scotch Eggs With Fresh Herbs, Delia Smith's Traditional Scotch Eggs With Fresh Herbs for a take along picnic! Or, serve alongside roast chicken or turkey and my Lemon Mashed Potatoes # 145403 for a Sunday or Thanksgiving meal! From Chef Deborah Schneiders' "Jsix Restaurant" in San Diego's restored downtown Gaslamp District. (Note: hibiscus flowers, also called "Jamaica", are available at Henry's Farmer Market, or other specialty shops in your area). http://www.jsixsandiego.com/
- 3 tart green apples
- 1⁄2 cup chopped white onion
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh ginger
- 1 large fresh garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 1 serrano chili, chopped (with seeds)
- 6 dried hibiscus flowers
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar or 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Place the apples in a saucepan with enough water to barely cover them.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until chutney has thickened.