Prep 45 mins
Cook 18 mins
Shortbread like cooky with jam center rum-almond glaze with a sprinkle of chopped almonds
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup apricot jam or 1 cup peach jam or 1 cup raspberry jam
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon rum
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped almonds
- Combine butter, sugar and 1 tsp almond extract in large bowl, beat at medium speed, til creamy.
- Reduce speed to low; add flour, beat until well mixed Cover; refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
- Place 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Make indentation in center of each cookie with thumb (edges may crack slightly); fill each indentation with about 1/4 teaspoon jam.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes til edges are lightly browned.
- Let stand 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet.
- Cool completely.
- Meanwhile put powdered sugar in bowl stir in enough rum to make thick glaze, stir in almond extract stir til smooth.
- Drizzle over cooled cookies; sprinkle with finely chopped almonds.
We make these cookies a lot. Whenever I share them, I get asked for the recipe! I love the almond flavour. A very tasty and pretty cookie!