Recipe by kelly.pike
My Mom gave me this recipe for jam tarts a few years ago. It was my Grandma's recipe which she had used time and time again. My Mom has changed it over the years to her way of liking.
- 150 g plain flour
- 75 g butter
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk
- water, a little if needed
- 8 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 8 strawberries, halved
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift the flour into a food processor; add the butter.
- Pulse together until bread crumb stage. Try not to overwork the pastry. You need to treat the pastry gently to prevent tough chewy pastry.
- Add the sugar, vanilla, and egg yolk to the pastry and pulse again until a ball forms.
- You made need a little water if the pastry looks dry or is not clumping together well.
- Remove the pastry from the machine.
- Knead lightly to remove cracks.
- Pop in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to rest.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/fan 160 degrees Celsius.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge.
- Roll out on a lightly floured board.
- Cut out 12 rounds using a pastry cutter. I won't give measurments as sometimes I make bun tray size and sometimes I use a mini muffin tray. It is up to you. All take the same time to cook.
- Push the pastry rounds into your tray to fit nicely.
- Prick the base of each round with a fork.
- Pop into the oven for 15 minutes.
- When cooked transfer onto a cooling rack.
- Warm strawberry jam in the microwave in a bowl on high for 1 or 2 minutes until runny (be careful jam gets very hot).
- Spoon the jam into the pastry shells.
- Top each with half a strawberry.
- Leave to cool.
- They are crumbly and melt in the mouth YUM!