A very easy slice to make that gives huge rewards! I get many comments on this recipe and it usually disappears very quickly whenever i take it anywhere, plus it's fairly economical as well, using ingredients that are usually lying in the cupboard or fridge anyway. You can use what ever jam you happen to have on hand, you could even substitute in some marmalade or even a nice lemon or lime butter...the possibilities are endless! If you don't have shredded coconut, using all desiccated coconut is more than fine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 190°C.
- 2To make the pastry, sift the flour into a medium bowl. Rub the butter into the flour with fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs (this could also be done in a food processor).
- 3Add egg yolk to the flour mixture and enough water so that the ingredients can be pressed together to form a firm dough.
- 4Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently until smooth.
- 5Roll the dough into a rectangle large enough to cover the base of a slice tin (about 20x30cm). Place the dough into a lined slice tin and bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- 6Reduce oven temperature to 180°C.
- 7Spread the jam evenly over the pastry base.
- 8Combine the coconut, eggs and sugar in a medium bowl and mix with a fork until all the coconut is moist.
- 9Spread the coconut mixture evenly over the jam (do not flatten mixture). Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- 10Allow the slice to cool in the pan before cutting into slices.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jam Slice
Serving Size: 1 (52 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 253.0
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 55.0 mg
- Sodium 57.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 15.6 g
- Protein 3.1 g