Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A very easy slice to make that gives huge rewards! I get many comments on this recipe and it usually disappears very quickly whenever i take it anywhere, plus it's fairly economical as well, using ingredients that are usually lying in the cupboard or fridge anyway. You can use what ever jam you happen to have on hand, you could even substitute in some marmalade or even a nice lemon or lime butter...the possibilities are endless! If you don't have shredded coconut, using all desiccated coconut is more than fine.
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain flour
- 100 g butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water, approximately
- 250 g jam (any kind, i.e.strawberry, apricot, raspberry, etc)
- 2 cups coconut (1 1/2 desiccated coconut, 1/2 shredded coconut)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- To make the pastry, sift the flour into a medium bowl. Rub the butter into the flour with fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs (this could also be done in a food processor).
- Add egg yolk to the flour mixture and enough water so that the ingredients can be pressed together to form a firm dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently until smooth.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle large enough to cover the base of a slice tin (about 20x30cm). Place the dough into a lined slice tin and bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 180°C.
- Spread the jam evenly over the pastry base.
- Combine the coconut, eggs and sugar in a medium bowl and mix with a fork until all the coconut is moist.
- Spread the coconut mixture evenly over the jam (do not flatten mixture). Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow the slice to cool in the pan before cutting into slices.