Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
I made Mean Chef's Raspberry Mazurkas this morning to take to my son's boy scout camp tomorrow - they are wonderful and I strongly urge you try them. Having said that, I made a second batch with a number of my own 'tweaks' (and using apricot jam). The recipe has changed, but it is still really good. I hope you try this version, too.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup walnuts, ground
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon (I prefer the lesser amount)
- 1 large egg
- 12 ounces butter, melted and cooled
- 1 3⁄4 lbs jam (use a good-quality one of your choosing)
- Preaheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Break up any clumps of sugar with your finger tips and work the ingredients to mix them.
- Add melted butter and egg and work with fingers (I used one hand so I wouldn't get both gunky) to combine well.
- Press half of dough in a foil-lined 15 X 10 inch pan, working well into edges and pressing down to compact.
- Spread out jam of your choosing to within 1/2 inch of edges of pan - do not be tempted to use more jam than called for, the bars will be too sweet.
- Take handfuls of remaining dough mixture and crumble it over pan, distributing evenly. Press down with palms of hand to compact - but not too hard.
- Bake until golden-brown. 50 minutes in my oven (and to my taste).
- Cool completely before cutting. Cut lengthwise into 4 even rows and crosswise into 6.
I have been looking for the best oatmeal jam bars for a long time,and have finally found it. The only thing I did different was to use a 9-13 inch pan and strawberry jam.
These are superb! Argh! I can't stop myself from eating more than just a bar! Making this is like making linzer torte bars. Crumb layer-jam filling-crumb layer. I used strawberry jam and brown sugar blend (half splenda/half real brown sugar) and glad to say it worked for me. It had the right sweetness and somehow what you call a bar cookie with a bit of crunch. Can't wait to try more flavors! Thanks for posting this, Ev! Made for WZT4.
Definitely a keeper! I found this recipe looking for mean chef work's and was pleased to find that after trying it with your corrections and as posted to mean chef's website... they're both great! My BF loved them so well that i made them twice in one week, once with rasberry jam and once with peach jam and canned apricot slices. Thanks for posting.