Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
My mom made these excellent buttery rich cookies. They are a soft cookie that melts in your mouth. They are excellent with any kind of jam but chokecherry or raspberry jelly are my favorites. I don't know how many this makes as I always double the recipe and they get eaten so fast I've never had time to count. Refrigerate the dough for three hours minimum, or make in batches days apart.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup jam or 1⁄2 cup jelly
- IF USING SELF-RISING FLOUR REDUCE THE BAKING SODA TO 1/4 TEASPOON AND OMIT THE SALT.
- Beat together the shortening and butter.
- Beat in sugars well, then beat in the egg.
- Add the dry ingredients, and mix well.
- Shape the dough into two rolls 1 1/4" in diameter, sealing well in waxed paper.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Slice dough into 1/8" thick disks.
- Put 1/2 teaspoon of jam/jelly on half the slices, keep it in the center of the disk.
- Top each disk with another slice and bake. You can sprinkle these with sugar for a crunchier cookie (optional).
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Store in an air tight container once the cookies have cooled.
Tasty cookie for sure! Instead of making a sort of sandwich, I baked for 5 min, used my index finger to indent each cookie then added strawberry jam in the idention. Returned to the over for 5 more min. I also added chopped pecans when making the dough. Thanks!!!
This recipe makes for a great soft buttery type cookie that is sure to please most people. There are so many varieties of jams/jelly's that you could add to this recipe depending on preference/taste. I used both strawberry and raspberry jam/preserves. The strawberry was home-made and so it was a bit more runny than the raspberry which was Smuckers. thanks for a great recipe and cookie that's oh-so-good. Made for Breast Cancer Awareness Month-October's "ThinkPink" tag game~