My mom made these excellent buttery rich cookies. They are a soft cookie that melts in your mouth. They are excellent with any kind of jam but chokecherry or raspberry jelly are my favorites. I don't know how many this makes as I always double the recipe and they get eaten so fast I've never had time to count. Refrigerate the dough for three hours minimum, or make in batches days apart.
- IF USING SELF-RISING FLOUR REDUCE THE BAKING SODA TO 1/4 TEASPOON AND OMIT THE SALT.
- Beat together the shortening and butter.
- Beat in sugars well, then beat in the egg.
- Add the dry ingredients, and mix well.
- Shape the dough into two rolls 1 1/4" in diameter, sealing well in waxed paper.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Slice dough into 1/8" thick disks.
- Put 1/2 teaspoon of jam/jelly on half the slices, keep it in the center of the disk.
- Top each disk with another slice and bake. You can sprinkle these with sugar for a crunchier cookie (optional).
- Bake for 8 - 10 minutes.
- Store in an air tight container once the cookies have cooled.