Recipe by Lumberjackie
This is my all-time favourite cookie recipe - a pair of sugar cookies, a layer of raspberry jam, and a dusting of sugar, mmmmm. Let these cookies mellow for a few days after assembling for a delicious soft texture. (Most of the cooking time is for chilling)
Top Review by HeyItsBeej
Almost identical to my Gramma's recipe. I'd lost it and am so glad to have found yours! I only make these one per year and they're always the hit of my holiday treat trays. Thanks for putting it on the site!
- 1 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- icing sugar
- raspberry jam
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, cream the butter. Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar, and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and then the vanilla.
- Sift or stir together the flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, stirring just until blended. Divide the dough in half, wrap it in waxed paper, and chill it for at least 3 hours.
- Working with 1 portion at a time, roll the dough out to the thickness of 1/4 inch (5mm) or less. With a 2 1/2 inch (7 cm) round cutter, cut out the cookies. With a very small round cutter, cut a hole out of the centre of half of the cookies. With a metal spatula, transfer the rounds to ungreased baking sheets, spacing them about 1 1/2 inches (4 cm) apart.
- Bake the cookies in a 375°F oven for about 8 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let the cookies cool on wire racks.
- Sprinkle icing sugar on the cookies with the holes. Spread the whole cookies with jam and top each with a sugared cookies.