Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
got this from a co-worker in 1981, just a plain yummy cookie..
- 1 cup Crisco shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sour milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda, dissolved in the milk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Combine shortening, sugars,vanilla, and beat well.
- add eggs and salt.
- add milk with the 1/2 tsp soda dissolved in it.
- add flour and baking powder.
- Make a soft dough.
- Roll on a floured board and cut with a glass in rounds Bake 375 degrees for 11 minutes.
- Until nicely browned.
- Cool on a rack.
- Smear jam onto the underside of a cookie and place another cookie over to make a sandwich cookie or add some marshmallow fluff on one side and jam on the other and sandwich together also.
- Sometimes we ice with a butter icing one cookie, jam on the other then place them back to back.
This was a good, old-fashioned cookie that was easy to make. I used buttermilk in place of the sour milk, but followed the recipe exactly as posted otherwise. I used apricot and raspberry jams. I will be making these again. Thanks for posting. Made for My Three Chefs Tag Game.