Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
I made these as I love muffins. I didn't have any oat bran, so used wheat instead, they are not overly sweet but surely do taste good regardless. A hot cup of tea and a muffin really hits the spot at this time of year. I got this recipe out of the Joy Of Vegan Baking. Because this makes 16 muffins, I made a dozen bite sized ones too. I didn't put jam in them, but topped them with some cinnamon sugar.
Top Review by HawaiianBaker
These were good, hearty muffins, albeit a little dry (I'll use eggs next time instead of the flax mixture since I'm not vegan). I substituted wheat flour for white and used oats and wheat bran instead of oat bran. I filled some with peanut butter and jelly - yum! Great use of extra jam/jelly in the refrig.
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds (ground equals 2 eggs)
- 6 tablespoons water
- 2 cups oat bran
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar (firm pack ) or 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar (firm pack )
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups soymilk or 1 1⁄4 cups other non-dairy milk substitute
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄3 cup other light oil
- 1 cup walnuts (chopped ) (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup jam (strawberry is good, but any will do and fruit sweetened if you can find it)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425'F.
- Lightly grease your muffin tin(s).
- In a med. size bowl with a hand mixer whip up the water and the flax seed meal. In about a couple of minutes this should become a thick and creamy liquid.
- In a large bowl combine the oat bran, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl mix the flax seed mixture, milk and oil.
- Stir in the walnuts if using and then add to the dry ingredients until just combined, don't over mix!
- Fill your prepared muffin cups less then half full, then put a dab of your jam on top of the batter, then put more batter until the muffin cup is 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, depending on how your oven is. I used a skewer to test the side to see if it was done. I didn't put it down the middle as the jam is there.
- Cool the muffins in the tin for about 3 minutes, then remove to a rack to a wire cool.
- Bon Appetit!