Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
These not only taste great but they look so pretty too :)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 egg
- just less than 1 cup flour (7/8 cup)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3 tablespoons jam, of any flavour
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In large bowl, combine both sugars and butter. Beat till fluffy. Add vanilla abd egg, blend well. Add flour and mix well. Mix orange peel in with dough.
- On floured surface, roll dough out to a 1/8-inch thickness and cut with floured 2 inch round cutters.
- In half of the cookies, cut a small decorative shape from the centers. Place remaining half of cookies on cookie tray. Place 1/2 tsp jam in the center of each. Top with cut out cookies.
- Bake at 375°F for 7-10 minutes or till light golden brown. Cool one minute and remove from baking sheet.
The only trouble is making enough. You need to at least double or triple to get enough cookie tops and bottoms. You also need a very small cutter to cut into the top. I topped mine with powdered sugar for a holiday effect. The orange makes this cookie!
This recipe is very vague about how to assemble the cookies. When you make them, be sure to spread the jam almost to the edges of the bottom cookie, as it tastes funny without the jam. Also, make sure to press the edges a bit to keep the jam inside. I also had to cook these for about 15 minutes, not 7-10. These cookies are much chewier than I think they should be; maybe they will be better after they sit a day or two.