From Eating Well. Made these with 1/3 cup marmalade and they came out delicious! Baked for about 25 minutes at a 350F oven.
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄3 cup blackberry jam or 1⁄3 cup blueberry jam or 1⁄3 cup raspberry jam or 1⁄3 cup cherry jam
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk eggs and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add buttermilk, orange juice, oil and vanilla; whisk to blend. Add to the dry ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula just until moistened.
- Scoop half the batter into the prepared pan. Mix jam and almond extract; drop a generous teaspoonful into the center of each muffin. Spoon on the remaining batter, filling each muffin cup completely. Sprinkle with almonds, then sugar.
- Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 25 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.