- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 3⁄4-1 cup milk
- 2 cups jam or 2 cups preserves, any flavor
- 3 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- For dumplings: Stir all dry ingredients together; cut in shorting until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually stir in enough milk to make dough soft.
- For syrup: Make syrup of the jam by adding jam and water in a large pot. When syrup in melted down and comes to a boil, reduce heat and drop biscuit dough on top by the teaspoonful.
- Cover at once; simmer for 12 minutes. Remove dumplings and arrange in a deep serving dish. Pour remaining syrup around dumplings and serve hot.