1/3 Photos of Jam Drops
These biscuits (cookies) are easy to make, taste delicious and keep well. They also look lovely with their centres of sparkling red jam. They're perfect for afternoon tea, after-school or picnics. Yes, they're a bit fiddly to make but believe me, they're worth the effort!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Grease 3 oven or cookie trays.
- 2Preheat oven to 180C (350F).
- 3Combine sifted flour, coconut and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- 4Mix well.
- 5Make a well in the flour mixture and stir in melted butter and milk.
- 6Mix well.
- 7(Don't worry if the batter looks a bit crumbly.) Using your hands, shape, rather than roll, level tablespoons of the mixture into balls.
- 8(Don't worry if the balls aren't perfectly round).
- 9If the mixture seems too crumbly at this stage, add a tablespoon or two of milk to the batter, but be careful not to make it too wet- it should still look crumbly and the dough should just come together with the heat of your hands.
- 10Place balls about 7cm (3") apart on oven trays.
- 11(They will flatten out as they cook.) Now, holding the balls together with the fingers of one hand, gently push the handle of a wooden spoon into the centre of each biscuit to make an indentation about 5mm (1/4") deep.
- 12(If the biscuits split a little just gently push the dough back together.) Using a finger to ease the jam off the spoon, drop about 1/4 teaspoon of jam into the hollow of each biscuit.
- 13(Be neat and don't overfill- you can add more jam later.) Bake on the centre shelf/shelves of a moderate 180C/350F oven for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 14Cook in batches if necessary.
- 15Remove plum drops from oven and leave on trays while you add an extra 1/4 teaspoon of jam into each hollow.
- 16When plum drops are firm to touch, remove gently to cool on wire racks.
- 17Store in an airtight container between layers of baking (silicone) paper.
- 18They will keep well for up to a week- if they last that long!
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jam Drops
Serving Size: 1 (1040 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 104.7
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 10.9 mg
- Sodium 123.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 0.8 g