Recipe by Perfect Pixie
Man oh man do I love doughnuts. This is just a traditional one, but oh boy are they good
Top Review by deedeevonnoodle
Excellent recipe. Some modifications - I used a sugar thermometer and kept the oil at 190C so that the doughnuts browned beautifully and cooked inside just right. Also, I simplified the dough recipe by mixing all the dry ingredients together in a bowl (flour, dry yeast, sugar) and mixing all the wet ingredients together in a different bowl (warm milk & water, melted butter, eggs, lemon zest and some vanilla bean paste), then mixing the wet into the dry and kneading into a soft dough adding more flour if necessary to bring it together. Best doughnut recipe ever and I've never had anything other than glowing reviews. Only warning, you MUST eat them all the same day! That's either a good or bad thing... :)
- 2 (14 g) packet dried yeast granules
- 59.14 ml warm water
- 236.59 ml warm milk
- 59.14 ml caster sugar
- 60 g butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 887.21 ml plain flour
- 4.92 ml grated lemon rind
- 1 egg white, lighlty beaten
- 118.29 ml raspberry jam, approximately
Directions See How It's Made
- you will also need, oil for deep-frying and extra castor sugar.
- combine yeast, water milk and sugar in small bowl.
- cover, stand in warm place about 10 minutes or until mixture is frothy.
- stir butter and eggs into yeast mixture.
- sift flour into large bowl, stir in yeast mixture and rind, mix to a soft dough.
- cover, stand in warm place about 45 minutes or until dough has doubled in size.
- turn dough onto lightly floured surface, knead dough about 5 minutes or until smooth.
- roll dough until about 1cm thick, cut into 5cm rounds.
- brush half the rounds with egg white, drop about 1 tsp of jam in centre of each round, top with remaining rounds, pinch edges together.
- re-roll remaining dough, cut into rounds, repeat with remaining egg white and jam.
- loosely cover rounds with oiled plastic wrap, stand in warm place about 10 minutes, or until almost doubled in size.
- deep-fry doughnuts in batches in hot oil until well browned, turning once.
- drain on absorbent paper, toss doughnuts immediately in extra sugar.