Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is another of those cakes passed down from Mom. When DH and I were married, he did not like cake. Mom has a reputation for making fabulous cakes and she converted him! Prep time includes 15 minute cooling time.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1 cup jam or 1 cup preserves (flavor of your choice; we usually use strawberry or grape)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- powdered sugar
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Fold jam (or preserves) into cake mixture.
- Turn into well-greased tube (angel food) or bundt pan.
- Bake at 300 deg F for 15 minutes, then raise heat to 350 deg F and bake 45 minutes.
- Let cool 15 minutes.
- Sift powdered sugar over it while still warm.
Wow, we really enjoyed this cake. It was moist, but not crumbly, and smelled heavenly while baking. I used apricot preserves, and I followed the directions you gave carefully, using a bundt pan. Thanks for sharing this wonderful cake recipe...it will be used again.
Very good moist cake. I used a tube pan and raspberry preserves. Instead of dusting with powdered sugar, I made a glaze with the powdered sugar, vanilla and milk. Delicious!
this was simply delicious! so moist and buttery! i used raspberry jam, the bundt pan, and it was just perfect! you have the best cake recipes!!!