Most people have heard of "Apple Brown Betty" but this is a version for when you'd like something a bit different and/or you don't have any apples about. From what I understand, a jam version is also as quite traditional as apple, made during lean times. When we've made this we used various kinds of jams or jellies, or sometimes a mixture! It's a good way to use up those almost-empty jars in the fridge to make way for fresh ones. :) You can make this with leftover flavored breads, too, such as zucchini or gingerbread - yum!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix the bread cubes and 2 Tbsp melted butter.
- 2Melt together the preserves, water, and sherry in a saucepan over medium heat.
- 3In a bowl, toss together the bread cubes, jam mixture, and coconut then spread it into the bottom of a buttered 8"x8" baking pan.
- 4Combine the chopped nuts and remaining 2 Tbsp butter and stir until coated, then sprinkle on top of ingredients in baking pan.
- 5Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes.
- 6Serve warm with whipped cream on top.
- 7Makes about 4 servings.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jam Brown Betty
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 648.9
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.9 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 402.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 108.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 64.2 g
- Protein 4.9 g