Recipe by Julesong
Most people have heard of "Apple Brown Betty" but this is a version for when you'd like something a bit different and/or you don't have any apples about. From what I understand, a jam version is also as quite traditional as apple, made during lean times. When we've made this we used various kinds of jams or jellies, or sometimes a mixture! It's a good way to use up those almost-empty jars in the fridge to make way for fresh ones. :) You can make this with leftover flavored breads, too, such as zucchini or gingerbread - yum!
Top Review by Steingrim
This was very easy to make and tasted great. I used blackberry, currant, grape and orange marmalade but just about any combination of jams or jellies would work well. We will be making this again!
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided,melted
- 3 cups bread, cut in small cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups fruit preserves or 1 1⁄2 cups jam or 1 1⁄2 cups jelly
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 1⁄2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts or 1⁄4 cup pecans or 1⁄4 cup walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the bread cubes and 2 Tbsp melted butter.
- Melt together the preserves, water, and sherry in a saucepan over medium heat.
- In a bowl, toss together the bread cubes, jam mixture, and coconut then spread it into the bottom of a buttered 8"x8" baking pan.
- Combine the chopped nuts and remaining 2 Tbsp butter and stir until coated, then sprinkle on top of ingredients in baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 minutes.
- Serve warm with whipped cream on top.
- Makes about 4 servings.