Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Posted for ZWT 2006. If you want, you can make the sponges and freeze them for up to one month. Thaw the cakes at room temperature for about 20 minutes. Fill and serve immediately.
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup self-rising flour
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2⁄3 cup superfine sugar or 2⁄3 cup caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons jam
- 1⁄2 cup cream, whipped
- confectioners' sugar, to dust
- Preheat oven 350F degrees. Grease two 8 inch cake pans.
- Sift the flours three times onto parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Gradually add in the sugar, beating constantly until the sugar is dissolved and mixture is thick and glossy. Add the egg yolks and beat for another 20 seconds.
- Fold in the flour quickly and lightly with a metal spoon. Spread the mixture evenly into prepared pans, smoothing the surface.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until lightly golden. The top should spring back when touched.
- Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 5 minutes before turning onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread the jam evenly onto one of the sponges. Spread whipped cream over the jam. Top with the second sponge and dust with sifted confectioners sugar. Serve.