Prep 35 mins
Cook 15 mins
This would be terrific for christmas morning, New Years Eve, or other festive occasion!
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted (no substitutes)
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped pistachio nut
- sifted powdered sugar
- 3⁄4 cup strawberry and brandied apricot jam or 3⁄4 cup strawberry jam
- bittersweet chocolate (optional) or semisweet chocolate, shavings (optional)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup bittersweet chocolate or 1⁄3 cup semisweet chocolate, shavings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease and lightly flour a 15x10x1-inch jelly-roll pan.
- Stir together flour, baking powder,and salt in a small bowl.
- Set aside.
- Beat egg yolks and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high speed about 5 minutes or until thick and lemon-colored.
- Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar, beating on medium speed until sugar is almost dissolved.
- Fold in melted butter.
- Wash beaters.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a large mixing bowl on medium to high speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).
- Gradually add the 1/2 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- Fold yolk mixture into whites mixture.
- Sprinkle flour mixture over egg mixture; fold in gently, just till combined.
- Spread evenly in prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched.
- Immediately loosen edges of cake; turn out onto towel sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Starting with a narrow end, roll up cake and towel together.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Unroll cake.
- Spread jam evenly over cake to within 1 inch of edge.
- For the cannoli filling in a bowl stir together ricotta cheese, granulated sugar, and vanilla.
- Stir in bittersweet or semisweet chocolate shavings.
- Carefully spread Cannoli Filling evenly over jam layer to within 1 inch cake edges.
- Reroll cake.
- Cover and chill up to 2 hours.
- To serve, cut cake on the bias into slices with a serrated knife.
- Transfer slices to individual dessert plates.
- If desired, sprinkle with chocolate shavings.
- For Cannoli Filling: Stir together 1 c ricotta cheese, 3 tbsp granulated sugar, and 1/2 tsp vanilla.
- Stir in 1/3 c bittersweet or semisweet chocolate shavings.