Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is made with chicken but you can make it equally as well with shrimp
Make and share this Jalfrezi recipe from Food.com.
- 1 teaspoon mustard oil
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tikka masala
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 small red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 lb cooked chicken, chopped
- Heat the mustard oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat for 1 minute, or until it begins to smoke.
- Add the vegetable oil, reduce the heat, and add the onion and garlic.
- Cook for 10 minutes, or until golden.
- Add the tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, turmeric, chili powder, tikka masala, and vinegar to the skillet.
- Stir the mixture until fragrant.
- Add the bell pepper and stir for an additional 2 minutes or until the bell pepper is softened.
- Stir in the chicken.
- Simmer gently for 8 minutes until the chicken is heated through
- Serve with rice if desired.
Made for dinner last night, and I guess depending on a families appitite, it was barely enough for 4, but it still was good enough. Made this with white onions, and left out the turnamic. It did have good flavor and taste. Made for Pick a Chef Fall 2012.