Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a delicious, thick soup. Adjust the amount of jalepenos to your taste. I like spicy, and this is on the enjoyable end of the spicy scale for me. I used smoked jalepenos and smoked chicken to make this recipe, which made a good soup taste excellent.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 10 jalapenos, de-seeded and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup flour (or as much as needed to make rue)
- 26 ounces chicken broth
- 4 cups milk
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 24 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese (grated or shredded)
- 4 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon pepper
- Cook chicken, shred, and set aside.
- Melt butter in soup pot. Saute garlic and jalepenos.
- Add flour, 1 Tablespoon at a time, stirring until the mixture is a paste, but you can still see bubbles from the butter.
- Add chicken broth slowly while stirring mixture. Same for milk and cream of chicken.
- Slowly raise temperature of soup to just below boiling point. Stir frequently.
- Whisk in about 1/4c of cheese until completely melted. Repeat until all cheese is melted into soup. (If you add cheese all at once it will ball up and soup will be stringy).
- Once cheese is melted in add chicken.
- Stir in sour cream, salt, and pepper until smooth.