Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a delicious, thick soup. Adjust the amount of jalepenos to your taste. I like spicy, and this is on the enjoyable end of the spicy scale for me. I used smoked jalepenos and smoked chicken to make this recipe, which made a good soup taste excellent.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 10 jalapenos, de-seeded and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup flour (or as much as needed to make rue)
- 26 ounces chicken broth
- 4 cups milk
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 24 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese (grated or shredded)
- 4 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon pepper
- Cook chicken, shred, and set aside.
- Melt butter in soup pot. Saute garlic and jalepenos.
- Add flour, 1 Tablespoon at a time, stirring until the mixture is a paste, but you can still see bubbles from the butter.
- Add chicken broth slowly while stirring mixture. Same for milk and cream of chicken.
- Slowly raise temperature of soup to just below boiling point. Stir frequently.
- Whisk in about 1/4c of cheese until completely melted. Repeat until all cheese is melted into soup. (If you add cheese all at once it will ball up and soup will be stringy).
- Once cheese is melted in add chicken.
- Stir in sour cream, salt, and pepper until smooth.
This soup was awesome!!!! It is perfect for the fall when you are getting that craving for warmth and comfort food. The 10 jalepenos were too hot for me but my husband loved it.