1/2 Photos of Jalapenos' Spinach Enchiladas
Kim D.'s Note:
Jalapenos is a popular Mexican restaurant here in Houston, Texas. Their spinach enchiladas is one of the most popular entrees on their menu. This recipe was posted in the Houston Chronicle.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach or 4 bunches fresh spinach, cooked
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups grated monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend, divided
- 10 -12 flour tortillas
Cilantro Cream Sauce
- 1For enchiladas, cook the spinach according to the package directions, if using frozen.
- 2While spinach is cooking, combine garlic, onion and mushrooms in food processor, and process until coarsely chopped.
- 3Melt butter in sauté pan, and sauté onion mixture until onion is translucent.
- 4Remove pan from heat, and set aside.
- 5Drain spinach, squeezing out excess water.
- 6Make bread crumbs in food processor from sliced bread.
- 7Add spinach, salt, pepper, nutmeg, chili powder and eggs.
- 8Process until blended thoroughly.
- 9Transfer to mixing bowl, and stir in onion mixture and 6 tablespoons cheese.
- 10Preheat broiler.
- 11Spoon a portion of filling onto each tortilla and roll it up.
- 12Place each enchilada in casserole dish, seam side down.
- 13Repeat until you've used up filling.
- 14For cream sauce, mix half-and-half, cayenne, salt and a little of the dissolved corn starch in medium saucepan, and heat until thickened.
- 15The sauce should be creamy, not runny; add more cornstarch mixture as necessary.
- 16Off the heat, stir in cilantro.
- 17Pour Cilantro Cream Sauce over tortillas, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 18Broil until cheese melts and turns a nice golden color.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jalapenos' Spinach Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 369.9
- Calories from Fat 186
- Total Fat 20.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.2 g
- Cholesterol 87.2 mg
- Sodium 832.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 17.8 g