1 hr 10 mins
Lorraine of AZ's Note:
This is a versatile recipe. With its totally green color (from the zucchini), you'll want to remember it on St. Patrick's Day. With its hint of sweetness, (from the honey), you'll want to serve it at breakfast. With its moistness (from the buttermilk and of course the zucchini) you'll enjoy slice after slice. And with its nip of heat (from the jalapenos) you'll want to make this over and over. The recipe comes from our local foodie, Jan D'Atri, who says the 2 jalapenos in the recipe are exactly the right amount. Nevertheless, you'll want to use your judgment!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 yellow sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (store bought or homemade, see note below for instructions)
- 1 cup zucchini, grated and packed (about 1 large zucchini)
- 2 large fresh jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan (9 x 5 x3")d or a square cake pan.
- 2In a medium pan, saute onion in butter until soft and translucent. Let cool.
- 3With an electric mixer, combine softened butter, eggs and buttermilk.
- 4Add in zucchini, jalapeno peppers, honey, flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda ands salt. Mix well. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for about 45-50 minutes or until toothpick comes up clean before slicing.
- 5Serve with butter and jam or jelly. Can be made ahead and frozen.
- 6NOTE: To make homemade buttermilk, mix 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice into 1/2 cup milk and gently stir. Let sit for about 20 minues until slightly thickened.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jalapeno Zucchini Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 276.4
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 89.6 mg
- Sodium 502.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 5.9 g