Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
We were served this at a dinner party. The host obtained the recipe from a restaurant I believe is called "Miguel's Cocina". This luscious sauce is perfect as a dip for fresh veggies, tortilla chips or better yet, potato chips! It's also an irresistible topping for baked potatoes. Because it's simply a flavored, upscale white sauce, the sky's the limit here! For chicken base, I use the "paste" type soup base, and also add a pinch of salt to the roux. Adjust the jalapenos and juice to taste.
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon chicken base
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno juice (from bottled jalapenos)
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon bottled jalapeno, minced
- 1 ounce shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 ounce shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat whipping cream in a heavy saucepan over high heat.
- When the cream is ready to boil, stir in sour cream.
- After sour cream dissolves, reduce heat to medium.
- Stir in chicken base and jalapeno juice and simmer.
- While cream is heating:.
- Make a roux by warming butter in a saucepan over medium heat, adding flour, and mixing with a wire whisk until mixture is smooth and pale gold in color.
- Just before cream mixture is ready to boil again, add roux, whisking briskly and constantly until roux is incorporated.
- Remove from heat;.
- Stir in minced jalapeno and the cheeses.
I was a regular patron of Miguel's on Shelter Island in San Diego. This is a great dip! I had lost my Recipe Card from Miguel's (they give away the recipe on little cards). So thank you very much for posting this recipe. My family all make this dip and we have found that if you use a double boiler you can make it without any chance of scalding the dip. Thanks again for posting this recipe.
Tasted d-lish! made it for co-workers at 4th of July party. Also made brought it to a potluck were my friends and family devoured the whole bowl!
Very tasty, but pretty mild - I added 4 Tbsp jalapenos and it just got there (will add more next time). Thanks for posting.