Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This divine recipe is from The Square Table Cookbook from Oxford, Mississippi. Cheese grits are great but to kick it up a notch try these with the salty, tangy Stilton and the heat and great flavor of jalapeno. Serve with fried turkey or catfish to complete the Southern, down-home theme for supper or serve with ham and biscuits for brunch!
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup garlic, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups quick-cooking grits
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1 lb Stilton cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350 degree.
- In a stockpot over high heat bring water, butter, onion, garlic, cream, peppers,and salt to a simmer.
- Slowly add the grits, stirring constantly until they are soft and creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs and cheese.
- Stir into grits.
- Grease a 12x12-inch casserole dish and dust with flour.
- Pour in grits and bake until firm, 40-45 minutes.