Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
By cookbook author Edward Lee.
- 4 fresh mint leaves, plus 1 sprig for garnish
- 1 ounce jalapeno simple syrup (recipe follows)
- crushed ice
- 2 1⁄2 ounces Bourbon
- club soda
- 1 very thinly sliced jalapeno, into rounds and seeded
Jalapeno Simple Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 jalapeno peppers, coarsely chopped
- In a julep cup, pour Jalapeno Simple Syrup and add mint; gently bruise leaves with a muddler or wooden spoon. Add enough crushed ice to fill two-thirds of the cup. Add bourbon and stir gently; then add a bit more crushed ice. Top with a splash of club soda. Garnish with mint sprig and jalapeno.
- Jalapeno Syrup: In a small saucepan over high heat, combine 1 cup water, sugar, and jalapenos. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and let steep 20 minutes.
- Strain syrup, discard jalapenos, and cool syrup. (Simple syrup can be refrigerated, in an airtight container, for up to 6 months.).