Recipe by d.chojnacki
Very savory and creamy potatoes. It's quick and easy, not a lot of ingredients. I wanted to make mashed potatoes and kept digging out new stuff from the fridge that I thought would taste good with potatoes. Impress with these comforting mashed potatoes.
- 4 -5 medium size red potatoes, quartered
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 slices bacon, bite size pieces
- 5 -6 roasted garlic cloves, minced (roast in oven on 450 for approx. 30 min.)
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped (seeds and ribs included)
- 1⁄2 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- canola oil
- extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Place garlic in foil and wrap tight. Place in 450 degree oven and roast 30 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water and liberally add salt. Set heat to high and let potatoes come to a boil for about 15 minutes until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, in a medium size pan add chopped bacon and drizzle a tablespoon of canola oil on top to separate bacon. Fry until crisp and remove from pan. Place on paper towel to drain fat.
- Turn heat to medium low, add butter and extra virgin olive oil and add the onion. Season with salt, pepper, oregano, and garlic powder. Cook for 7-8 minutes then add the jalapeno and roasted garlic. Cook until onions are sweet, not caramelized. Should only take 15 minutes total. Set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and return to pan. Add a little more salt and a generous portion of pepper. Add the butter and warm milk *microwave for 30-45 seconds until warm*. Mash with potato masher.
- When the potatoes are smooth add the onion, jalapeno, and garlic mixture. Mix together bacon then add the cheese until melted.
- Make any other adjustments with seasonings to your liking!