Recipe by drhousespcatcher
Top Review by lortle
I'm the someone else who loved this dish! (BF did too.) I only made one change, which was to use a lot more pine nuts - about 1 1/2 Tbsp per serving. It is true that the taste of squash isn't prominent here, but I liked the combination of flavours - no one thing stuck out. Nice colours too. Thanks for posting!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup kabocha squash or 1 cup butternut squash or 1 cup other winter squash, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 medium tomatoes, cored, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups long-grain rice or 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice or 1 1⁄2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts or 1 tablespoon slivered almonds
- 4 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large (10- to 12-inch) nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic, onion and 1 tablespoon broth.
- Sauté 4 minutes.
- Add jalapeño and bell pepper; sauté 4 minutes.
- Put squash, tomato, cumin, chili powder and salt into the pan, stirring well.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes.
- Then add rice and stir well to coat.
- Add remaining broth and bring to a boil, stirring well.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and cook 15 minutes.
- Stir, cover and continue cooking 5 minutes.
- Stir pine nuts, parsley and lime juice into the rice.
- Cover and let sit off the heat 5- 10 minutes before serving.