Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Make and share this Jalapeno Rice With Winter Squash and Lime recipe from Food.com.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded and minced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup kabocha squash or 1 cup butternut squash or 1 cup other winter squash, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 medium tomatoes, cored, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups long-grain rice or 1 1⁄2 cups basmati rice or 1 1⁄2 cups jasmine rice
- 1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts or 1 tablespoon slivered almonds
- 4 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- In a large (10- to 12-inch) nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic, onion and 1 tablespoon broth.
- Sauté 4 minutes.
- Add jalapeño and bell pepper; sauté 4 minutes.
- Put squash, tomato, cumin, chili powder and salt into the pan, stirring well.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes.
- Then add rice and stir well to coat.
- Add remaining broth and bring to a boil, stirring well.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and cook 15 minutes.
- Stir, cover and continue cooking 5 minutes.
- Stir pine nuts, parsley and lime juice into the rice.
- Cover and let sit off the heat 5- 10 minutes before serving.
I'm the someone else who loved this dish! (BF did too.) I only made one change, which was to use a lot more pine nuts - about 1 1/2 Tbsp per serving. It is true that the taste of squash isn't prominent here, but I liked the combination of flavours - no one thing stuck out. Nice colours too. Thanks for posting!
This dish sounded fabulous, but unfortunately I wasn't as happy with it as I was hoping. I followed the steps exactly and used kabocha squash (my favorite). The flavor of the squash seemed overwhelmed by the other ingredients, which was a disappointment. I also don't think I liked the tomatoes with the squash, but thats just a matter of taste for me. It was not a hard dish to make and was cooked to perfection. I really wanted to love this but for me it was an average dish. It was most certainly not horrible but did not knock my socks off either. I'm sure someone else will love it. Sorry Mean!