Recipe by Annacia
A zesty, flavorful version of the traditional refried beans. Jalapenos add a mild heat and the cheese adds a subtle creamy flavor. These are a big hit at potlucks and fiestas. This is easily doubled or tripled.
- 16 ounces black beans (home cooked or canned)
- 1⁄4 cup lard or 1⁄4 cup bacon drippings
- 2 pickled jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese or 1 cup queso blanco
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare a large skillet by heating drippings or lard over medium heat.
- Cook the garlic, onions and jalapenos until slightly wilted.
- Sprinkle in the cumin.
- Add in about 1/2 cup of beans and mash with back of spoon or mashing utensil.
- If the mixture seems thick, add about a tablespoon of liquid from canned beans or the cooking liquid.
- Continue to add beans and mash them together, adding liquid as necessary.
- Top with shredded cheese.