1/3 Photos of Jalapeno-Red Bean-BBQ Burgers
Moist, delicious vegetarian alternative to boring frozen veggie burgers. These are easy to make and taste wonderful on whole-grain buns with some cheddar cheese, tomato and lettuce for crunch. Be watchful while cooking these ... the sugar content in the barbecue sauce can cause the burgers to blacken kind of quickly. Tastes great on the grill, too ... just keep an eye on them!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup chopped and seeded plum tomato
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeno chiles, more if you like or 1 teaspoon serrano pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed,well drained
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce (I like homemade or Uncle Dougie's, a brand out of Barrington, IL)
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 4 whole grain buns, toasted
- 1Heat oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- 2Add next onion, plum tomato, jalapeno, garlic and chili powder; sauté 5 minutes.
- 3Cool slightly.
- 4Using fork, coarsely mash beans in bowl.
- 5Combine with onion mixture, breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons of the barbecue sauce and egg white.
- 6Shape mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- 7(Can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill.) It will look as though these little burgers will just fall apart and turn to mush, but they stay together really well once they"hit the pan"!
- 8If grilling, oil the rack or spray grill rack with nonstick spray, then fire up coals to medium heat.
- 9If pan-frying, heat a little olive oil over medium heat.
- 10Place patties on grill or in skillet and cook until golden brown and heated through, about three minutes per side.
- 11Place burgers on buns.
- 12Serve with more barbecue sauce, and cheese, tomato, lettuce, avocado, or whatever topping you like!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jalapeno-Red Bean-BBQ Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (239 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 273.8
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 29.4 mg
- Sodium 630.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 15.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole grain buns