Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
We grew too many jajapenos! These poppers blend my 25 years in the south with my California upbringing. Best to use peppers you have roasted, peeled, and seeded - that way the crust won't slide off.
- Beat together cream cheese and cheddar until fluffy.
- Mix in cilantro, onion, and seasonings.
- Snip corner off a ziploc baggie. Put cheese mixture in bag.
- Pipe filling into peppers.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- Or freeze untouching in layers for later use.
- Heat 1/4 inch oil in skillet over medium-high heat; reduce to medium.
- Dip poppers in egg then coat in corn meal.
- Fry 3 minutes per side, in batches, or until browned and cheese is warm.
- To prepare the peppers ahead of time, cut off tops, broil on all sides until skins are blistered, steam in plastic bag at least 1/2 hour, then peel and carefully remove the innards with a small skinny knife. Wear gloves or your hands will sting for 2 days!