Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
Nice impressive appetizer. Easy, found in one of my mags.
- 24 small jalapeno peppers
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- Wearing rubber gloves, cut jalapeños in half lengthwise with a paring knife and remove seeds. Leave stems intact.
- In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, cheddar and cilantro, and mix well. Fill half of jalapeños generously with cheese mixture; top each stuffed chili half with an empty chili half.
- Warm 2 inches of oil in a large skillet over medium heat until it reaches 375 degrees.
- Arrange 3 bowls on a counter. Place flour in one, eggs in another and bread crumbs in third. One at a time, dip chilis in flour, then eggs, letting excess drip off. Roll each chili in bread crumbs to coat. (Chilis can me made several hours ahead up to this point. Cover and refrigerate).
- Fry a few peppers at a time in hot oil until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Return oil to 375°F before beginning next batch.
- Serve warm.