Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This will make your guests sit up and take notice. Actually with the membranes and seeds removed they are not all that hot (depending where they are from). Make them the day ahead cover and refrigerate then pop them in the oven just before serving. I served these as a first course with Chicken (see Left over Beef enchiladas and substituted sauteed chicken breast) enchiladas, crisp
- 10 jalapeno peppers, cut in half, stem intact, membrane and seeds removed
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, aged, grated
- 1⁄4 cup light cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup salsa
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs (reserve 3 tbsp crumb)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Combine cheddar,cream cheese& salsa.
- Blend in 1/4 cup bread crumbs (less 3 tbsp crumbs).
- Spoon evenly into the pepper halves.
- Toss together the remaining bread crumbs, parsley& butter.
- Spoon over the peppers.
- Bake on cookie sheet in 375f oven for 20 minutes or until the top is golden and crisp.
These were good but needed something. A little salt maybe?? I added shrimp. I think if I made them again I would season the jalepeno with season salt before filling them.
We loved the filling for these! I used my hot tomato-less salsa (my hubby doesn't eat tomatoes). We felt that the peppers were a bit firm, I would recommend that either they roast a bit before stuffing them, or a longer cooking time. They sure tasted great though! I dipped the peppers in a beaten egg and then dredged in the bread crumbs and then put the butter/bread crumb mixture over the top! I will definately make these again, roasting the peppers first for a few minutes. Thanks for a great recipe Bergy!
I have made a variation of this recipe and it worked well. I mixed parmesan half & half with the bread crumbs, used a pungent chutney in the cream cheese with a tbsp of hot sauce -this pepped them up. They went over well. Golden brown on top. Do not over bake you want the jalapeno to have some crispness left so it is finger food. If necessary brown under the broiler for the last few minutes