Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I added a lot more jalapenos than the recipe called for, and I didn't add any salt because the bacon was salty enough. I also didn't cook anything in bacon grease (I prefer butter). Overall, this is a keeper. Recipe courtesy of www.thelowroasteditalian.com.
- dry corkscrew macaroni
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 -6 large jalapeno peppers, seeds and veins removed, diced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt and more for pasta
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cups colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Bring an 8 quart pot filled with water to a boil over high heat. Once it boils, add a handful of salt and pasta. Reduce heat to medium high and cook uncovered to al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile warm a large 12 inch skillet over medium high heat. Using clean kitchen shears cut bacon into bite size pieces over the skillet and let them fall into the pan. Stir occasionally as needed. Cook until crisp.
- While the bacon is cooking, shred cheeses and dice jalapenos.
- Once bacon is cooked through, remove bacon to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon drippings and discard the rest. Wipe the side of the skillet to avoid flame ups.
- Pour reserved bacon drippings back int the skillet over medium heat and add butter. Once melted add jalapenos and saute until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add flour to skillet and whisk to combine. Add salt and cayenne pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Add cream cheese and stir until softened. Allow to come to a bubble for 3 minutes, whisking occasionally to help pick up the bits on the bottom of the pan. Add milk. Whisk to combine. Bring back to a boil and add cheeses. Stir until cheese is melted and smooth.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon. Add pasta to sauce and stir to combine. Add remaining bacon. Cook pasta in sauce for 5 minutes over medium heat until sauce thickens and the pasta has a chance to absorb some of the sauce. Sprinkle with reserved bacon.