Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Macaroni & Cheese recipe from Rachael Ray's magazine, August 2009.
- salt and pepper
- 16 ounces cavatappi pasta (can use any hollow, ridged corkscrew pasta)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 3 jalapenos, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 serrano chilies, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and return to the pot.
- In a skillet, heat a drizzle of EVOO over medium heat. Add the jalapenos, serranos and garlic and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add to the pasta.
- Preheat the broiler. In a saucepan, combine the milk, cream cheese and onion over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring, until smooth, 5 minutes; stir into the pasta. Stir in the jack cheese; season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the pasta to a baking dish and broil until browned, about 3 minutes.
I saw this recipe in the magazine of Rachael Ray and when I saw you posted it, I had to tag it and I'm glad I did :) This is so yummy. I used macaroni. I couldn't find serrano chilies so I used only 3 jalapenos. And that way, my son was able to eat it without any problem LOL I used reduced-fat cream cheese. The sauce is very yummy with the dried onion flakes. Thanks NELady :) Made for Newest Zaar Tag
The recipe was good the first night, but the left overs the next day tasted better. Letting the flavors set works wonders for this recipe. All in all I Enjoyed it, but it didn't blow me away. I think next time I make it, I will add some garlic for a little more kick..