This is from my favorite get-away place, Big Cedar Lodge in Ridgely, Missouri. Love these grits, yes I do!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 tablespoon minced seeded jalapeno pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups canned chicken broth
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded hot monterey jack pepper cheese
- salt and pepper
- Melt butter in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sauté red and yellow pepper, jalapeño, and garlic for about 5 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- In a large saucepan, bring chicken stock and cream to a boil.
- Add grits in a thin stream, whisking constantly.
- Whisk for about 6 minutes or until grits are cooked and mixture thickens.
- Add sautéed pepper mixture and cheese.
- Stir until cheese melts.
- Season with salt and pepper.
WOW!!! This tasted so good. My husband and I love grits so we decided to try this jazzed up version. Incredible. The peppers make it colorful and very flavorful. The grits had a nice creamy texture. Thanks so much Nurse Di. Your grits recipe is "da bomb"!!
We LOVED this recipe! I'm so glad I tried something different. I had slices of Monterey Jack cheese so I used four of those. Using Weight Watchers cream this recipe was a total of 31 points. Thank you so much for posting!
Was looking for a grits recipe just for a change of pace and this is the one I settled on. So glad I did because it was very tasty. I might have cut down on the cheese just a bit because it seemed like a lot, and I used a green pepper instead of yellow because it's what I had. But I'll be making this recipe again.